Blog Post #5 - Caribe Gris and Historical Representations

 Blog Post #5 - Caribe Gris and Historical Representations

Initial Reading Experience

    During my first look at the passage, I was confused in many ways. Although I speak Spanish and English well I still couldn't understand much of the passage at first. The English version was the one I tried to read but it felt incomplete since it was shorter than the original Spanish one. This then leads to me trying to read the Spanish version. At first, it made sense but the more I read the more I was confused, which some words I had never heard of. The passages would lose me the more I tried to read it. This lead to procrastination and me taking many breaks from completing the assignment. 

Understanding better

I kept reading the English version over and over until I understood the concept a little. My initial thought was that the main idea had to do with Columbus being wrong in general. It still wasn't enough to get a good understanding or come up with my final main idea. Going back to the Spanish version wasn't any easier to understand. At this rate, it felt like I would never complete the assignment so I got my mother to help translate some words. I knew the Spanish text was complex because even my mom had never heard of those words while helping me out and her Spanish is great. After several readings and help to translate words by my mom, I was able to come up with the main idea.

Final Thoughts and Understanding

At the end of my final reading, I was able to understand the passage. The biggest take away's from the passage was on how Christopher Columbus meets with two catholic Monarchs. Another key thought was about how Columbus also was wrong about the size and locations of the land. In my final conclusion, the passage was talking about how much of the documentation and knowledge were lost/edited but instead what we have is like a broken memory.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #8